10.19.2013

Eku Ojobi! A Very Nigerian Birthday

I was invited to the birthday party of the mother of a former coworker.  Here's the kicker, it's a Nigerian party. I hear so much about international parties and weddings and now I finally get to experience another one.  I attended a Somali reception back in December and enjoyed it so I knew I was definitely going to take full advantage. 


I pinned my locs into a half updo for the party to try something new.  I really liked it.

We got the the party just in time.  This was pretty much an all day event.  A church service was done earlier in the day and the reception started in the afternoon.  The party lasted until about midnight.

  Cutting up in the back of the banquet hall during some of the birthday toasts.


The banquet line starting!

So much food! I LOOOOVE Nigerian food.


Photo opportunities.

The guest of honor makes her grand entrance!  The music was so live.


After a quick wardrobe change for part 2 of the party, the cake is presented. It was so gorgeous.

My handmade dress straight from the motherland thanks to my good friend Stella.  I absolutely love this dress.

Emmanuel's swagger is just too much. He was dancing his butt off.

My coworkers. I love them like family.

Stella and Donnie.  The family enjoyed him.

Us.

Stella and I (photo-bombed by Emmanuel).

Overall the party was great.  The food was declicious and filling, I definitely picked up a to-go plate.  Donnie and I had to bow out around 8 or 9PM.  Everyone enjoyed us and vice versa.  The band was awesome and their songs seemed to go on forever and switched up often.  They had me dancing and singing a long.  The birthday toasts were beautiful and the prayers and praises were strong in the room.  It felt so good being around happy people and the positive energy just filled the whole venue.  I cannot wait for the next one.





No comments:

Post a Comment